Wednesday 13 March 2013

Habemus Papam! Pope Francis "I" and a lot of other firsts!




Just back from St. Peter's Square where the atmosphere was electric - sorry, I know that's usually for a rock concert, but there's really no other word! It must have been the Holy Spirit. Shortly after 7pm, I was sitting in my office here in Rome glued to the papal smoke stack watching live as... more black, no wait, gray, no... actually WHITE smoke started to pour out.

I don't think I've ever changed into my Roman collar and suit so fast in my life, but I barely had time to think before I was practically sprinting to the subway. On the subway, off the subway, dashing down the sidewalk, sidestepping nuns, almost bowling over tourists, stopping for the official papal marching band (or something like that), and finally squeezing into the square and wriggling to the front. All of that in about a half of an hour. Not too bad!

The Square was already full of people singing, cheering, laughing, praying - doing just about everything. That is until the window opened, and, "Gaudium magnum..." We had Pope Francis I. Though most people were checking exactly who he was, since he didn't appear among the CNN frontrunners, he was a hit before he even came out. The Church was no longer "orphaned". We have our pastor! The first Jesuit. The first from the other side of the Atlantic. The first Francis!

I could go on, and I on, but I should let him talk for himself! (Taken from Zenit.)

Brothers and sisters, good evening!

You know that the duty of the Conclave was to give a bishop to Rome. It seems as though my brother cardinals went almost to the end of the world to get him. But here we are. I thank you for your welcome. The diocesan community of Rome has a bishop. Thank you! 

Before all else, I would like to say a prayer for our Bishop Emeritus Benedict XVI. Let us all pray together for him, that the Lord may bless him and that Our Lady may watch over him …


[Our Father … Hail Mary … Glory be]


And now let us begin this journey, [together] as bishop and people. This journey of the Church of Rome, which is to preside over all the Churches in charity. It is a journey of fraternity, of love, of trust between us. Let us always pray for one another. Let us pray for the world, so that a great brotherhood may be created. I hope that this journey of the Church, which we begin today and in which my Cardinal Vicar who is present here will assist me, will be fruitful for the Evangelization of this beautiful city. 


And now I would like to give you my blessing. But before I do, I would like to ask you a favor: before the bishop blesses the people, I ask you to pray to the Lord that He bless me…. the prayer of the people for a blessing upon their bishop. Let us take a moment of silence for you to offer your prayer for me.”


[Silence … the Holy Father bows]


[Cardinal N. says … “The Holy Father, Francesco …”]


“Now I will give you my blessing and to the whole world, to all men and women of good will.”

[Pope’s blessing]


Brothers and Sisters,

I leave you now. Thank you for your welcome. Pray for me. And we’ll see one another again soon. Tomorrow I want to go and pray to Our Lady, asking her to watch over Rome. Good night and have a good rest.

If you want to read more about Pope Francis, Jorge Bergoglio, check out John Allen's piece here

13 comments:

  1. this was almost as good as being there, brings tears to my eyes. Thank-you for a fresh,honest look with true spiritual eyes, speaking from your heart rather than in an ostentatious manner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie,

      Thanks a lot, and yes the simply beauty of our Catholic faith! God bless you.

      Fr. Mark

      Delete
  2. And now I wonder if there is a connection, something more than pictures of the barefoot, Francis-like man who knelt in the rain to pray during the conclave at St. Peter's Square?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps it was St. Francis interceding for the man who soon take his name. It was a very unusual scene. Hadn't thought about it till reading your comment. Now I think it was undoubtedly significant in some way.

      Delete
    2. There are certainly no coincidences in God's Providence. He certainly had this planned out for us. We just have to keep praying and cooperating!

      God bless, Fr. Mark

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Father Mark. Looking forward to more commentary from you. What a thrill it must have been to be there!! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His first Mass will be on Tuesday, and I'll keep you posted. Still hoping to get something up from the Mass to start the conclave, but it might take me a little while. God bless.

      Fr. Mark

      Delete
  4. I think Pope Francis is going to make a big difference in a world that is sometimes chaotic, to say the least ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our world definitely needs another Francis to rebuild the Church and carry the Gospel to the ends of the earth!

      God bless, Fr. Mark

      Delete
  5. CNN and FOX would pay millions to have what we have: a real holy priest as a reporter! fortunately for us... Father Marco is not for sale because he is bought by the very Blood of Jesus Our Lord! good job!
    Many Graces Father Marco!
    Carlos
    Holy Wood Acting Studio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carlos,

      Thanks for your kind words - just another pilgrim experiencing God's graces for his Church here in Rome! I'll keep you posted, and God bless your work.

      Fr. Mark

      Delete
  6. I felt like I was there what an awesome day! And thank you so much for putting up the translation as well! What a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy,

      Thanks a lot, and it was a very blessed day! Count on my prayers, and come visit Pope Francis soon. God bless.

      Fr. Mark

      Delete