Tuesday 22 January 2013

Why Poverty, Chastity, and Obedience For Life - the Joy of the Priesthood!

So how and why did I decide to become a Legionary priest? I’m not going to tell you my story here, but the whole story is here in case you suffer from insomnia.

What did God do almost fifteen years ago that brought me to the altar for ordination and brought you to Rome to share in this plan of God?



Any vocation is first and foremost an invitation from God, and we answer yes or no. I can remember visiting a Legionary seminary for the first time; I was totally blown away by the joy, the charity, and their mission. I can remember sitting in the dining room looking around at the hundred plus other seminarians around me, chatting, smiling, eating, and enjoying themselves. “I want this,” I thought to myself, “but is this what God wants for me? It’s up to him.”

There are many different ways of living out our faith in the Church: as priests, lay people, religious brothers or sisters, single, and so on. And within each state of life there are many different paths – people to marry, religious orders to join, ministries to carry out. How do we choose? I’m convinced that in God’s infinite love, he has something special set aside for us. That is what will make us happiest and most fulfilled. Now we are free to choose these or others, but that doesn’t change his invitation.


As you can read in my personal story, I first met a Legionary in confession while in high school. Nothing big you might think, but to this day, that priest has made a huge impression on my life. I remember the enthusiasm, the strength, the missionary zeal, and above all the holiness.

There was something that attracted me, something I wanted, or rather that God wanted for me. And in reality, the Legion is her men as we often say. Just like in the Church, it’s not about the institution, the buildings, or even the books – it’s about all the Christians all over the world. In a similar way, the religious family of the Legion and the related lay movement, Regnum Christi, is all about the men and women that make it up.

From the very beginning I was attracted by the spirit which combines a contemplative aspect of deep prayer and personal and passionate love for Christ with a conquering aspect of missionary zeal and love for souls. They were serious about being holy apostles and helping others to do the same. It’s something that struck me from the beginning - we don’t say one thing and do another.


Unfortunately as many of you know, many things about our founder were not as they seemed. It has been a cross for all of us to bear, knowing that he didn’t always do what he said. On the other hand, though, it has brought me full circle. I’m not here because of what a great group this is or how much I like it. I’m here because God called me here.

Yes, the Legion is her men but ultimately she is God’s work. In other words, God has a personal plan that we can either accept or reject, and our fidelity is not indifferent, it will make it easier or harder for others. But in the end, it is ultimately his call, his love, he alone to whom we have to answer.

Strange as it may seem, I have known for the past 14 years that God has called me to the Legion of Christ. It hasn’t been easy, and I can’t give you logical treatise on it. But when people ask me how this can be, I always bring up there are normally two ways of meeting a spouse – we either meet someone amazing and our initial love deepens and matures or we spend a long time looking for that perfect match. In my case, it was love at first sight, maybe a little naive at first but one that has matured and deepened for Christ, for his Church, and for his Legion. I’ve promised love for life in good time and bad. God hasn’t let me down yet, and I hope to never let him down.

No comments:

Post a Comment