Sunday 20 November 2011

An Idea


Me in front of Westminster

I walked into the huge stone vaulted ceiling, and it seemed like I was stepping back in time. Hard to believe what this hall had seen in the previous centuries, but my mind went back to November 14, 1581. Edmund Campion stood his ground as he was convicted for treason. But in his own words, “The plain reason of our standing here is religion and not treason.”

Edmund Campion was an incredible Catholic, Christian, but above all, he was an incredible man. We need figures like this today. So often we look to musicians, athletes, or movie stars that aren’t even worth our admiration.

But I can hear the words of another man also spoken in England echoing in my ears:

When I invite you to become saints, I am asking you not to be content with second best. Having money makes it possible to be generous and to do good in the world, but on its own, it is not enough to make us happy. 
Happiness is something we all want, but one of the great tragedies in this world is that so many people never find it, because they look for it in the wrong places.
The key to it is very simple – true happiness is to be found in God. We need to have the courage to place our deepest hopes in God alone, not in money, in a career, in worldly success, or in our relationships with others, but in God. 
God wants your friendship. And once you enter into friendship with God, everything in your life begins to change. (17 September 2011)


Benedict XVI said this to the youth on September 17, 2010. What the world needs today are men and saints! What we need are men and saints! This might sound crazy, but this is what we need to think about, talk about and live out if we are going to be happy.

6 comments:

  1. It doesn't sound crazy to me at all. I have been reading a book called Secular Saints (about canonized saints that weren't nuns or priests but "ordinary" people in situations that we can all relate to) and I am fascinated. I always have enjoyed learning about the saints but this books makes me think about them on a different level. Do you think that there are many saints today? Does God reveal himself to us in the same ways as in previous centuries? Do people still have miraculous conversions? Ecstasies? Is there anyone today who can live on the Eucharist alone? Or is a true mystic? I am so curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for the questions! I definitely think there are a lot of saints today - John Paul II and Mother Theresa were two great examples.

    God reveals himself in new ways in every century. I don't think things are quite the same as with the apostles, but the Holy Spirit works in every age.

    Miraculous conversions and living on the Eucharist are true miracles today. I also think there is a real return of true Christian mysticism. Take a look at Time for God by Jacques Philippe or Fire Within by Thomas Dubay.

    God bless, and count on my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Mark! I appreciate the answers. We are praying for you too. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes thank u mark i was just praying about this and asking same questions and it is funny God does answer prayers all the time no matter how little u think they r also this questions r big if u really think about it ... saints and mystics holy spirit ... what happens ordinary people get chosen probably more than we know i beleive we have to be open to all these wonderful things blessings God bless

    ReplyDelete
  5. We definitely have to be open to these great plans of God for our lives. Saints and mystics are not just of the past! Count on my prayers, and say one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful encouragement! I believe that saints emerge everywhere at any given time in God's grace.

    I am not familiar with St. Edmund Campion and his charisma. I'll do a research on that. Thank you for spreading the Pope's words.

    Viva il Papa!

    ReplyDelete